Solved: PS4 NAT Type Failed Solution
Using your PlayStation 4 to play games online is one of the most popular ways to relax nowadays. Unfortunately, when it comes to being able to connect to the Internet on your console, things are not so simple.
If you’re a student, you know this much too well – usually campus WiFi networks don’t allow connections from game consoles. Sometimes it’s the router or other networking equipment you’re using that’s causing the issue. It basically resumes down to network address translation (NAT) settings.
Read below to see how you can solve the PS4 NAT type failed eror using the Connectify Hotspot and Speedify VPN apps.
What is NAT? Why Do I Get PS4 NAT Type Failed?
Network Address Translation (NAT) is a method used by routers to translate a public IP address (used on the Internet) into a private IP address (used on your home network) and vice versa.
In the world of gaming consoles, there are three NAT types that classify the connectivity they have to other players over the Internet:
- Open NAT (Type 1) – all is permitted – your gaming device can connect to anyone’s games and host games. Plus – other users will be able to find and connect to the games you are hosting. This is usually the case when your console is connected directly to the Internet with no router or firewall.
- Moderate NAT (Type 2) – your gaming console will be able to connect to other players, but some functions will be limited. When connecting to the Internet through a router that is configured properly, you’ll get this NAT type.
- Strict NAT (Type 3) – your gaming device has limited connectivity with other players. Other players on a moderate or strict NAT will not be able to join your hosted games. This is the case when the router doesn’t have any open ports.
So, you’ll have the best gaming experience if you’re on an open NAT or at least a moderate NAT.
How Connectify Hotspot and Speedify VPN Help You Fix PS4 NAT Type Failed
For the purpose of this article, we’ll assume that you’re connected through a router or firewall to the Internet. This can be your home router or some public network.
Connectify Hotspot is the most popular software app for Windows PCs that allows you to turn your computer into a virtual router and share your Internet connection with other devices, such as gaming devices. But you need a connection that can bypass NAT restrictions. You get that through Speedify VPN.
By using both Connectify Hotspot and Speedify on your PC, you can connect your gaming devices to the WiFi network created with Connectify Hotspot in order to fix NAT type issues.
Below is a video that illustrates how to share a VPN connection via WiFi with Connectify Hotspot:
After creating the WiFi hotspot with Connectify, just connect your PS4 to this network.
Here’s how this setup helps you fix PS4 NAT type failed:
- it will forward to TCP and UDP ports necessary for online play on your PS4
- your PS4 will automatically get NAT Type 2 (Moderate). This allows you to enjoy your gaming experience without any issues.
Fix PS4 NAT Type Failed Error Using Speedify Fast Bonding VPN
The simplest way to bypass any ISP restrictions regarding NAT is to use a fast bonding VPN such as Speedify. A VPN makes it impossible for the Internet service provider to see what your traffic is about and impose port restrictions. All VPN traffic goes through predefined ports that are open.
So, getting back to fixing the PS4 NAT type failed – here are the steps you should take:
- Download and install Connectify Hotspot and Speedify on your Windows laptop or PC
- Open Speedify and connect to the fastest server. If you have multiple Internet connections from different networks, you can combine and use them at once with Speedify. This will create a super-connection with increased bandwidth and lower latency.
- Run Connectify Hotspot. Under WiFi Hotspot mode, give your hotspot a custom name and password, and select the “Speedify Virtual Adapter” from the Internet to Share drop-down menu. Then click “Start Hotspot”.
- Connect your PS4 to the hotspot you configured using Connectify. All the traffic going through this WiFi hotspot will be NAT type 2 (Moderate).
Now that you’re all set – forget about PS4 NAT type failed issues. Enjoy your online gaming with Connectify Hotspot and Speedify VPN!
Share this Post